Position Title: Development Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary of Responsibilities: The Development Director is responsible for leading and directing all of Dégagé’s fundraising efforts including the annual fund, planned giving, major gifts program, and the capital campaign. This position works in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Grant Writer, Marketing Manager, Data Base Manager, Fund and Development Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, and Capital Campaign consultants to achieve the ministry’s fundraising goals.
- A strong commitment to Christ and to serving Christ through word and deed to others.
- Must embrace the mission of Dégagé Ministries.
- Have knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Strong computer skills. Experience with Little Green Light donor software preferred.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
- Be a self-starter and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit follow through on tasks and goals.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, delegate, and work independently.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weekend and evening hours as required.
- A strong professional approach to nonprofit fundraising.
- A bachelor’s degree and 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
- Together with the Executive Director and the Board, develop and implement a Development Plan including both the annual and long-term funding strategies for Dégagé Ministries.
- Meet with current and prospective donors on a continual basis, cultivating relationships, sharing the need, and making the ask.
- Identify and solicit monetary and in-kind gifts from businesses, churches, and individual donors in partnership with the Board and staff.
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Build a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program and strategic donor communication.
- Work alongside capital campaign counsel to implement the capital campaign and other major fundraising initiatives.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Dégagé with churches, businesses, civic groups, rest homes, etc.
- Oversee the timely acknowledgment of gifts.
- Solicit sponsorships and raffle items for fundraising events.
- Write appeal and donor acknowledgment letters as needed.
- Oversee the timely mailing of year-end giving receipts.
- Participate in the Leadership Team with other directors and attend weekly leadership team meetings.
- Help lead and attend monthly staff meetings.
- Maintain awareness of financial status, both monthly and long range.
- Enter all contact, relationship, and meeting information into Little Green Light database.
- Run and analyze reports from database.
- Participate in all fundraising events as requested.
- Recruit and manage fund development committee members and ensure they have appropriate tools, training, and support to be effective and efficient in their work.
- Communicate with the Board on a monthly basis.
- Oversee ambassador programs such as Women 4 Degage.
- Provide leadership to fundraising events along with Fund Development and Event Manager.
- Lead development team.
- Participate in professional development.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
This is a full-time salaried position. This is an “at will” position. There is no length of tenure of employment implied or stated. This job description is subject to change.